Burma Superstar E. coli Outbreak
Food served at Burma Superstar, a popular San Francisco restaurant, was the source of an E. coli O157:H7 outbreak among 22 people who dined at the restaurant between August 23 and 26, 2013.
According to the San Francisco Department of Public Health, at least 7 e. coli outbreak victims were hospitalized due to their infections, with 4 developing hemolytic uremic syndrome, a potentially fatal complication of E. coli infection that can cause kidney failure.
A final report was issued by the San Francisco Health Department on November 4, 2013. All 31 employees of Burma superstar were stool-culture tested for E. coli and results came back negative. However, testing of employees took place approximately two weeks after the onset of the outbreak, and any affected employees might have recovered from their illness by the time the samples were collected.
According to the health department, potential routes of transmission included cross-contamination of food at the restaurant or at a wholesale food supplier, but food tracebacks could not lead investigators to a conclusion.